Compare and Choose the Right SSL Certificate Provider
Easy Comparison. Customer Reviews. Great Tools.
Cheap SSL Certificates EV Certificates Multi-Domain (SAN) Certificates Wildcard Certificates Code Signing Certificates
What to Expect from SSL Shopper
We've compared the top SSL Certificate providers to help you find the perfect SSL Certificate for you.
Use our comparison charts to find the right certificate for you.
Learn about SSL so you can buy the right product and get it configured.
We've collected thousands of reviews from real customers. Feel free to share your own!
Check, compare, decode, convert. Tools to help you get the job done.
SSL Certificate Tools
Check the SSL Certificate On Your Site
Top SSL Certificate Providers
New to SSL? Start Here
What is SSL and why do I need it?
SSL (which stands for Secure Sockets Layer) is an encryption technology that creates an encrypted connection between a web server (Apache, IIS, Nginx) and a web browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari) allowing for private information to be transmitted without eavesdropping, data tampering, and message forgery.
SSL essentially protects credit card numbers and other information from malicious third-parties like criminal hackers and third-party service providers (Internet Service Providers). It also protects your site from malware and prevents others from injecting advertisements into your resources. An SSL certificate is recommended for every website to protect user privacy and prevent tampering.
To enable SSL on your website, you will need to get an SSL Certificate and install it on your web server.
What to look for in an SSL Provider
To get an SSL Certificate, you need to verify your organization's identity (or domain control) with a certificate provider, generally known as a Certificate Authority. Certification authorities have to keep detailed records of what has been issued and the information used to issue it, and are audited regularly to make sure that they are following defined procedures.
Every certificate authority has different products, prices, features, and levels of customer satisfaction. You will primarily want to compare the following when choosing a certificate authority:
- Product features - Does the certificate authority provide a certificate with the features you need?
- Support - Does the certificate authority offer quality customer support when you need it?
- Price - Is the certificate within your price range?
Learn more about choosing a certificate provider or read our SSL Certificate reviews to find the best provider to purchase from.
Geting started with SSL
To get started with SSL, just follow these steps:
- Determine the features you need. Will customers trust you more with a OV or EV certificate? Do you need to secure multiple names with a UC or wildcard certificate?
- Determine your budget. Certificates range from $0 to thousands of dollars.
- Evaluate providers. Read our certificate provider reviews from real customers. This will give you a better sense of what to expect from the company.
- Buy and install certificate. After you buy the certificate, you'll need to install it on your web server. A provider with great customer support can be very helpful if any problems arise.
We guide you through the above steps in our with our SSL wizard, comparison charts, and reviews. We’ve done the research for you, so you can find the best SSL certificate provider for you.